November 27, 2017 Minutes – Approved

A meeting of the Board of Directors of Arrowhead at Vail Association (the “Association”) was held on Monday, November 27, 2017.  In attendance were Board members George Bigley, George Coleman, and Cynthia Bell. In attendance by phone were Rick Bross, Dan Gallagher, Patty Strunk, Cathie Bennett, and Board candidates, Randy Smith and Tim Gropp. Also in attendance were Jerry Hensel, Association Manager, Tim Baker, Sr. Director of Beaver Creek Village Operations, Jim Clancy, Director of Public Safety, Sid Schultz and Bob Narracci with Design Review Administration, Bob Shafer representing the Arrowhead Metro District, Erin McCauley, Accounting Manager, and Carol Floyd, Secretary to the Meeting. The meeting was called to order at 8:59 a.m., and it was noted a quorum was present.  Introductions were made.

Public Comment

Bob Shafer reported the golf cart resolution has been signed by Country Club of the Rockies (“CCR”) and Arrowhead Metro District (“AMD”) Boards, noting the Association’s requests were incorporated into the document.  Pentti Tofferi will set up a lease for the golf carts.  Bob confirmed the truck lease, Arrowhead to Beaver Creek shuttle expense and corresponding lease has been transferred to the AMD 2018 budget and will be paid by AMD going forward.  Dan Gallagher suggested moving the Arrowhead to Vail shuttle to a different day of the week.  Alternating days of the week was discussed.  Bob recommended waiting to evaluate ridership the first couple weeks.  Jerry Hensel added making a schedule change would depend on staffing in Transportation.  Bob informed the Board two digital speed limit signs have been purchased.  One will be permanently installed on Cresta Road on the long stretch before Mud Springs Road, and the other sign will be mobile.

Public Safety

When asked when the speed limit signs would be in place, Jim Clancy answered within a week.  Jim further explained data from the mobile sign will be analyzed to determine which locations are most impactful.  George Coleman recommended Patty Strunk, as Chair of the Public Safety Committee, interface with Jim on this matter.  Jim presented mock-ups of various access signage requested by the Board.  The Board discussed verbiage and was in agreement to allow AMD and their attorney to finalize wording.  Jim Clancy recommended posting dog on leash signage at the parking lot, base area, and Mud Springs trailhead sooner than later.  Jerry Hensel noted the mountain biker sign will need Vail Resorts’ approval.  Patty Strunk reported southeast and southwest gate closures from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. are in effect.  Discussion took place in regard to pedestrian/bike lanes on Cresta Road.  Jerry said if a bike lane were installed, this would require moving the center line.  Jim Clancy gave an update on software for guest access.  He has received a bid from Apt Red, the company used for the camera system.  Their bid of $30K would include a more appropriate wireless connection for changing gate codes and would be user friendly with the capability for property owners to put in their own codes.  He explained he has held four conference calls with Dwelling Live, but they are unable to provide a proposal until making a site visit.  He added their bid is likely to be a menu of options.  He will email their information to the Board as soon as it is received.

Design Review

Sid Schultz informed the Board of the Design Review Committee’s (“DRC”) denial of lettering installed on the east garage wall of 60 Turnberry Place, noting the current guidelines do not address signage.  Stephanie Lord-Johnson, the architect for this project, joined the meeting to appeal the DRC’s decision on the owners’ behalf.   Ms. Lord-Johnson explained two additional pieces of sculpture had been approved with screening from adjacent properties and roadways noting the owners’ willingness to add plantings to one remaining opening to further screen the courtyard and artwork.  She spoke about the interpretation of the guidelines, this work being considered sculpture and the display method on a wall.  She referenced a book by the artist of the project, Lawrence Weiner, mentioning the fact his work is mounted on world-class museums.  The Board discussed whether the work is compatible with a mountain environment and the risk of setting a precedent, and were in agreement to get the Association attorney’s opinion and investigate the approval process for a similar project in Vail.

Motion was made by George Coleman to table the appeal presented by Stephanie Lord-Johnson pertaining to 60 Turnberry Place for further review, to be acted upon in the January Board meeting.  Dan Gallagher seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved. 

Jerry Hensel informed the Board that the Beaver Creek Resort Company (“BCRC”) has agreed to share their recently revised Design Guidelines for approximately $60K.  David Cooper, Steve Nusbaum, and Shepherd Resources (“Shepherd”) are in favor of using BCRC’s guidelines as a template to expedite the process of updating the Arrowhead Design Guidelines.  Town Hall meetings would be held to help inform the modification process.  Jerry estimates receiving a proposal from Shepherd in the range of $15K – $20K for refinement of the guidelines for a savings of approximately $30K on the project overall.  David Cooper would like the DRC’s approval before proceeding in this direction.

George Coleman moved to approve payment in the amount of $60K to Beaver Creek Resort Company for utilization of their Design Guidelines for the purpose of review and rewriting the Arrowhead Design Guidelines.  Cynthia Bell seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved. 

George Coleman clarified this would be paid in FY18 and does not change the 2017 or 2018 budgets.

Committees

Activities: George Coleman said AVA is waiting to hear from Bachelor Gulch in regard to their participation on the trails.  Jerry Hensel added Vail Resorts’ approval is needed before approaching Bachelor Gulch on this project.  George announced there will be lap swim at the existing pool from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m., beginning mid-June through mid-September.  He is going to ask the Alpine Club if it could begin mid-April or May 1st.  Jerry Hensel has met with and received a proposal from Alpine Engineering Inc. (“AEI”), the Metro District’s engineering firm, regarding performing a feasibility study for a new pool site.  George Coleman pointed out in the contract exclusions, geotechnical or geological studies are not included.  He asked Jerry to obtain pricing to include these studies.

George Coleman made a motion to approve the Alpine Engineering Inc. feasibility study contract with the inclusion of geotechnical and/or geological studies.  Cynthia Bell seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

Discussion took place in regard to AMD sharing in the cost of the feasibility study.  George Coleman said the Alpine Club has agreed to allow visitation by non-club member residents at wine and cheese events on January 22 and March 12, 2018.  CCR will offer cross-country ski trails.  Jerry Hensel is looking into potential locations for safe sledding at CCR.  On-snow activities are pending Vail Resorts’ approval.  Jerry stated Mud Springs trail maintenance will occur on Thursdays or Fridays beginning December 1st through March 31st, or anytime eight inches of snow is received.  George Bigley reported the installation of gate locks at the pool is more involved than anticipated and will cost $8K of which the Alpine Club does not have budgeted.  He agreed to revisit this in the spring.  Jerry Hensel suggested cost sharing between the Association, Village at Arrowhead Association, and the Alpine Club.

Image/Beautification/Landscaping:  Patty Strunk reported tree pruning at the front gate is complete.  On the island, limbs have been trimmed six to eight feet from the base to provide better viewing.  Flowerbeds will be moved closer to the trees to enhance each side of the east and west gates.  Jerry confirmed irrigation for the Cresta Road landscaping project will be installed at the beginning of spring.

Communications:  Cynthia Bell said the winter newsletter is in to the designer and is expected to be 11 or 12 pages with photos.  George Bigley asked Bob Shafer to consider rephrasing the Metro District paragraph.

Nominating: Dan Gallagher explained a legal glitch of not being an interim owner leaving the previously nominated At-Large candidate ineligible for this election.  Dan thanked Randy Smith for stepping in on short notice.  Randy stated he was impressed with the degree of engagement amongst the Board and looks forward to working with everyone.

Snow: Rick Bross said the committee will meet after the World Cup.  He described progress being made with new signage ordered, more presence of yellow coats, getting Little Brave open as soon as possible, obtaining pricing on snow guns, and the grooming of Wapiti more frequently.

Financials

Cathie Bennett reviewed the financials as of October 31, 2017.  On the Income Statement, real estate transfer assessments are $130K ahead of budget.   An additional $60K is needed and anticipated to make the $1.150m year-end budget.  DRC fees are $11K in excess of budget, and expenses are favorable by $38K.  Cathie spoke about a letter she has drafted to alert property owners of the annual assessment increase.  She will incorporate the suggested changes she has received and asked that any further changes be sent to her as soon as possible.  The 2018 budget approved at the last meeting and subsequent budget amendment of $30K approved via email for tennis repairs will leave a projected $1m ending fund balance.

Other Business

Drone Policy:  Rick Bross referred to the Drone Policy finalized by the Association’s attorney.  Upon approval, George Coleman suggested posting it on the Association’s website.

Dan Gallagher moved for approval of the Drone Policy as presented to be effective January 1, 2018.  George Coleman seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved. 

Noise Regulation:  Rick Bross stated his opinion that the current noise regulation is minimal.  Based on the small number of complaints received, general consensus among the Board was there is no need to overregulate.

SWOT Analysis: Rick Bross asked everyone to evaluate the SWOT Analysis to condense and determine what is most important going forward. George Coleman asked those continuing on and joining the Board to think about which committees they would like to be engaged in to start the year more efficiently.

George Coleman announced a snowshoe walk and dinner at Vista is scheduled for the full moon on March 1st.

There being no further business, motion was made by Rick Bross to adjourn the meeting.  George Coleman seconded the motion and the meeting was adjourned at 11:08 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Floyd
Secretary to the Meeting