February 26, 2018 Minutes – Approved

A meeting of the Board of Directors of Arrowhead at Vail Association (the “Association”) was held on Monday, February 26, 2018. In attendance were Board members George Bigley, George Coleman, Dan Gallagher, Patty Strunk, and Tim Gropp. In attendance by phone were Randy Smith, Board member, and Tim Baker, Sr. Director of Beaver Creek Village Operations. Also in attendance were Jerry Hensel, Association Manager, Jim Clancy, Director of Public Safety, Sid Schultz with Design Review Administration, Erin McCauley, Financial Analyst, and Carol Floyd, Secretary to the Meeting. The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., and it was noted a quorum was present. Introductions were made.

Public Comment

Bob Shafer, representing the Arrowhead Metro District, reported on transportation ridership. Dial-a-ride is down 10%, Village-to-Village is up 10%. The Vail shuttle is down, most likely because of snow conditions in early January. Total ridership is down under 1%. Bob indicated it would be difficult to change the day of the Vail shuttle mid-season, but suggested polling riders to determine the best day for next year’s schedule. Bob said one key agenda item for Arrowhead Metro District (“AMD”) this year will be the potential addition of a sales tax within Arrowhead. He will provide a more thorough report at the next Association meeting. Bob noted short-term rentals of less than 30 days would be subject to sales tax. Green fees and cart fees would not be taxed. George Bigley voiced concern regarding a sales tax as the commercial representative on the Board. Bob spoke about the impact of the Gallagher Amendment on tax revenue, and AMD’s objective to maintain adequate revenue.

Design Review

Sid Schultz gave an update on the Design Guidelines revisions. He said there was minimal attendance at the Town Hall meeting on February 16th. Although not yet final, the direction the consultants and committee are moving toward is to eliminate the square footage limits by filing and lots. Sid noted the height, set-back, building and impervious coverage limitations would remain. Jerry Hensel said he anticipates a first draft from Shepherd Resources within a week. The importance of providing information to the community throughout this process was noted by the Board.

George Coleman informed the Board the Design Review Committee (“DRC”) currently has one open position, and there will be a need for an alternate to reach a quorum at their next meeting because one member must recuse themselves from one project on the agenda. George proposed Dan Gallagher be appointed as a member of the DRC.

Motion was made by Patty Strunk to appoint Dan Gallagher to the Design Review Committee. Tim Gropp seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

Public Safety

Jim Clancy spoke about feedback received from the email sent in regard to the Pilgrims Down incident. One issue of concern was the speed at which the gates close, allowing vehicles to piggyback in. Jim explained the size, weight, and age of the gates do not allow them to close quickly. There are also OSHA restrictions around how fast gates can open and close. Jim stated it would likely be a significant capital investment to replace the gates and mechanisms and asked for the Board’s direction if they would like to look into options and pricing. All were in agreement pedestrian gates at the east and west entrances would be ineffective. Patty Strunk informed the Board the Safety Committee has decided to move the southeast and southwest gate closures from midnight to 11:00 p.m. Jim suggested sending one comprehensive communication to announce the new access control system once it is installed and operational, gates closures, and other Public Safety updates. He will draft an outline for the Board’s review at the March meeting. A question was raised as to whether the current system could alert Public Safety when a vehicle without a reader piggybacks through a gate. Jim said he is unaware of this capability and will look into it. Distribution of garage codes was discussed. Jim explained the policy changed over a year ago whereby the Reception Center is responsible for giving out codes at check in. Dan Gallagher commented on the impact of the signage directing pedestrians to stay on the sidewalk at the circle parking area and asked about a schedule for staffing that area. Jim Clancy said Public Safety is aware of the busy times and will patrol that area when staff is available. When asked about parking lot operations this season, Jim said it has gone well with occasional closures for short periods of time on snow days, but that they have been able to maintain space for residents. He noted tags are required for entry into the parking lot.

Committees

George Coleman presented a list of committees and members, and asked for any changes to be emailed to him. He encouraged committee chairpersons to identify committee members who are able to continue on committees and become chairpersons, noting they do not have to be members of the Board. He said there is currently an opening on the Communications Committee and asked for recommendations to fill the vacancy. George spoke about a template he will be sending to Board members to create a database of community members, including their professional background and experience, for the purpose of consulting and utilizing their expertise.

Activities: George Coleman reported there has not been sufficient snow to schedule the full moon snowshoe walk. George said the same pro will be coming back for the tennis program this summer. Jerry Hensel added that courts three and four will be resurfaced by Beard Tennis to mitigate a moisture issue. George Bigley announced Beaver Creek Tennis Center has hired the Cliff Drysdale Tennis organization to manage their program this summer. George Coleman suggested consideration of an Association winter community event similar in appeal to the 4th of July summer event. This was referred to the Activities Committee. Jerry gave an update on the status of the proposed trails. He has been in discussion with Vail Resorts trail crew and the Legal Department in Broomfield. Although final approval has not been received, he said he is encouraged by the direction it is going. If approved, construction would begin in early spring. When asked about Bachelor Gulch Village Association’s contribution toward the project, Tim Baker answered it will be presented for consideration at their March 29th Board meeting.

Snow: George commended the diligence of this committee and Vail Resorts’ positive strong response. Dan Gallagher relayed positive feedback he has received pertaining to grooming of the snowshoe trail.

Strategic Planning: Dan Gallagher reported the committee has sorted the Association’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (“SWOT”), and are ready to move forward with establishing smart short and long-term goals based on the analysis. In addition, George Coleman requested the committee review short-term rentals, positioning Arrowhead for the future, amenities to improve or add, and to determine cost of the proposed pool.

Image/Landscaping/Beautification: Patty Strunk said the Cresta project, from the Parking Lot to Alpine Club, will begin as soon as weather allows in the spring. Jerry Hensel added it will be targeted for completion by Memorial Day. Patty described changes that will occur at the front entrance to include removal of trees and moving the flower berms back from the street. She noted trees have been trimmed six to seven feet from their base along Arrowhead Drive to improve site view. Bob Shafer commented about a blind spot at the intersection of Sawatch and Arrowhead Drive. Jerry Hensel said he has addressed this with the landscaper and a different variety of flower with a lower profile will be planted in those two beds.

Nominating: Dan reported the committee has a great list of candidates, and will reach out for other suggestions.

Inter-Community Council: Randy Smith referred to a document he created to identify marketing issues and strategies, both internal and external. He said one exercise will be to determine the right brand for Arrowhead. Randy added the Urban Land Institute Panel characterized the current logo as dated. He said there is a need to make the website more meaningful for residents and link other social media elements. He further spoke about ways of connecting with search engines providing more visibility to Arrowhead. Real estate brokers have expressed the desire for brochures, and a decision will have to be made if that is something money is spent on. Randy spoke about potential marketing firms, noting cost sharing of the development of concepts is to be determined. He welcomed input, and offered this as a framework for discussion with friends and neighbors to determine what is Arrowhead, and what are the characteristics and traits to be defined. George Bigley brought up Arrowhead’s desire to be private and exclusive, the conflict of marketing, and balancing the right message. He advised the Board, Beaver Creek is a licensed trademark brand and use would not be allowed as part of the Arrowhead brand.

Pool Placement Study

Kent Kriehn joined the meeting to present revised pool placement plans, putting the pool at the east or west end, and making it 75 feet long. Positioning the pool to the west would require a high retaining wall of approximately 23 feet. Locker room and showers would be located on the far west end, with a hot tub on the east end. This would keep the existing playground and restroom as situated. The view from properties to the west was discussed. George Bigley commented that noise would likely be more of a concern than view. Kent added that there could be constructability issues as shown, and may require moving the pool 15 feet eastward. George Coleman said that would require moving or eliminating some playground equipment. Kent showed plans for locating the pool to the east with a hot tub placed as far east as possible. This would involve relocation of the irrigation pipe, tearing down the existing restroom, and would impact the playground equipment. Wall heights would be substantially less. Preference among the Board was for placement toward the west. George suggested this project be moved to the Strategic Planning Committee. Kent cautioned that the plans presented are spatial concepts and will evolve.

Committees (Continued)

Past Presidents Council: George Coleman explained the immediate past president will chair Past Presidents Council on an annual basis. Rick Bross has asked for topics the Board would like the council to review. To start, he intends to describe work that has been done recently, hold a roundtable on the current state of Arrowhead, provide a Snow Committee update, discuss short-term rentals throughout the valley and within Arrowhead, and give an update on the Design Guidelines rewrite.

HOA Presidents Council: Tim Gropp informed the Board he has received a good response to the HOA Presidents Council and plans to schedule the first meeting on March 12th. At this meeting, Tim anticipates the council will establish an agenda and purpose going forward. He will share the thoughts from that group at the next Board meeting.

Financials

Erin McCauley reviewed the financials as of January 31, 2018. Erin explained the budget was built by month based on historical data over the past two years. Currently, $2K in transfer fees have been received resulting in an unfavorable variance of $11K. $40K in transfer fees are anticipated by the end of March which should meet the estimated budget. Savings in trash removal is related to timing of the invoice. All other expenses are in line with budget. In Improvements, the expenses shown are costs related to the pool feasibility study. Erin said all assessments have been billed out and approximately 40% have been received. She spoke about fielding calls related to the annual assessment increase.

Other Business

George Coleman inquired as to the Board’s interest in exploring the possibility of offering a shuttle from the parking lot to Bravo events as an amenity. Jerry Hensel noted this would be dependent on vehicle availability, number of events, and Transportation’s ability to operate the service. Jerry added this will be discussed at the upcoming Metro District meeting.

George Coleman asked for the Board’s opinion whether to hold a general Town Hall meeting in May, June, or September. This will be discussed further at a later date.

There being no further business, Patty Strunk moved to adjourn the meeting. Dan Gallagher seconded the motion and the meeting was adjourned at 10:41 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Floyd
Secretary to the Meeting