May 21, 2018 Minutes – Approved

A meeting of the Board of Directors of Arrowhead at Vail Association (the “Association”) was held on Monday, May 21, 2018.  In attendance were Board members George Bigley and Tim Gropp.  In attendance by phone were Board members George Coleman, Dan Gallagher, Cathie Bennett, Patty Strunk, and Randy Smith, and Tim Baker, Sr. Director of Village Operations.  Also in attendance were Jerry Hensel, Association Manager, Jim Clancy, Director of Public Safety, Sid Schultz with Design Review Administration, Erin McCauley, Financial Analyst, Bob Rosen representing Arrowhead Metro District, and Carol Floyd, Secretary to the Meeting. The meeting was called to order at 9:02 a.m., and it was noted a quorum was present.  Introductions were made.

Public Comment

Bob Rosen spoke about Arrowhead Metro District’s (“AMD”) goal of obtaining approval of a sales tax next year to take effect on July 1, 2019.  The purpose of this sales tax would be to generate revenue from non-resident patrons of restaurants, commercial activities, and short-term rentals within Arrowhead.  Bob noted this tax would offset loss of tax revenue due to the reduction in assessed values as a result of the Gallagher Amendment.  The Metro District intends to present this proposal at the upcoming Town Hall meetings in advance of a community vote this fall.   George Coleman will write a summary of today’s Board meeting activities for the next AMD meeting.  Cathie Bennett will attend as the Association Board liaison. 

Minutes

When meeting minutes are distributed for electronic approval, George Coleman asked for all Board members prompt attention so they can be posted on the Association website in a timely manner.   

Motion was made by Tim Gropp to approve the April 23, 2018 meeting minutes as presented.  Patty Strunk seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

Design Review

Sid Schultz reported one new residence at 38 Riverbend Drive went through its first review and will return for a schematic review at the next meeting.   There is a major change to the previously approved design on 20 Gleneagles.  84 Riverbend Court had requested a building envelope amendment for approval of a patio.  They were advised to withdraw their request until the Design Guidelines are revised eliminating building envelopes for approval according to setbacks.  Sid said a final draft of the Design Guidelines revisions is expected this week.  Dan Gallagher noted a recommendation by the Association’s legal counsel to follow the formal process for adoption of rules and regulations.  The Board extended their appreciation to Bert Solomon on behalf of the community for his many years of service on the Design Review Committee. 

Public Safety

A question was raised in regard to the increase from last year in number of boot placement removals.  Jim Clancy explained it is a result of increased focus on where vehicles are being parked, including the parking lot, roadways, and enforcement of limited timeframes for parking in the traffic circle near the Alpine Club.  Dan Gallagher asked that a category be added to the Public Safety Activity Report for responses to any rental guest issues. Jim agreed to add a response category to the dispatch program noting there would be no year-over-year or month-over-month data for a period of time. In light of a fatality which occurred in Washington over the weekend, George Coleman asked the Public Safety Committee to bring the Board suggestions of how to be more proactive with regard to wildlife. Patty Strunk asked about the policy for on-street parking at Cresta Townhomes.  Jim Clancy will research this matter and report back.  Jim gave an update on the new access control system.  The software and computers are set up in the gatehouse.  There was a backorder on some of the hardware which arrived at the vendor last week.  The hardware will be installed over the next couple of days and the system should be operational by Memorial Day weekend.  Randy Smith suggested sending a second communication summarizing the new system and noting a grace period and effective date.  Jim Clancy recommended ensuring the system is working effectively, and sending a second communication prior to July 4th when occupancy is the highest. 

Committees

George Coleman thanked everyone who contributed to the summer newsletter.  He further noted, a monthly activities newsletter will be distributed via email to foster greater participation. 

Hiking:  Jerry Hensel gave an update on the new trails construction. Construction of the Upper Choctaw Trail to the Comanche Trail is nearing completion with some alignment issues to be addressed. Any remaining funds will be used to begin construction of the Apache Trail.  The Kiowa connecting trail will be completed with a contribution from Bachelor Gulch Village Association.  George Coleman asked the Board to consider budgeting the additional $10K in 2019 needed to finish all trails currently approved by Vail Resorts and request they complete the trails in their new fiscal year beginning August 1st, with a commitment for completed reimbursement by the Association in January, 2019. 

Dan Gallagher moved to propose Vail Resorts complete all approved trails this summer with a commitment for reimbursement of funds up to $10,000 by the Association in January, 2019.  Randy Smith seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

Jerry Hensel will reach out to Vail Resorts to gage their interest in accepting the above-mentioned proposal.   

Intercommunity Council:  Randy Smith said the council is finalizing the date for their June meeting where two organizations will meet with the council to discuss their philosophical approaches to issues discussed in the first meeting. 

HOA Presidents Council:  Tim Gropp said prior to each Board meeting he has asked members of the council to provide items for discussion, new issues to raise, or problems for the Board to address.  He asked the Board for ideas of alternative methods of working with the council.  One suggestion was made to bring the council a proposal, or item the Board is considering, to share with their constituencies and provide feedback.   A request was made to have each HOA President reach out to their individual community to get a sense of their issues and concerns with short-term rentals, and to provide restrictions specific to each association.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be a way to engage the greater community in this process. 

Snow:  No updates to report.

Tennis:  Jerry Hensel reported resurfacing of all clay courts will be complete by this weekend.  Courts 3 and 4 will have limited play.  Director of Tennis, Hannah Thompson, is expected to arrive today or tomorrow.  The committee has been successful in engaging Cliff Drysdale to come out for a round-robin and meet and greet in July.  Bachelor Gulch and Beaver Creek will be invited.

FAC:  George Coleman thanked George Bigley for his involvement in securing dates for four Friday Afternoon Club events. 

Strategic Planning:  Dan Gallagher said the Short-term Rental subcommittee is working on further elements to include in their recommendations.  A schedule of Bravo events is in process.  Discussion took place in regard to’ feasibility of funding the Bravo shuttle. 

Patty Strunk made a motion to approve expending up to $3,500 for funding the Bravo shuttle contingent upon a surplus of this amount being indicated in the 2017 financial audit once finalized.  Cathie Bennett seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

George Coleman will draft a communication in regard to the Bravo shuttle for the Board’s review and comment, and will resend to the Board in its final state before it goes out to the community.   

Image/Landscaping:  Patty Strunk said the Cresta project is progressing well.  Jerry Hensel noted 500 perennials are included in the bid, and will be placed at the parking lot driveway entrance and one or two locations midway providing a splash of color. 

George Coleman asked each Board member to submit members of their committee(s) to Carol Floyd for posting on the Association website to recognize their participation. 

Financials

Cathie Bennett reviewed the financials as of April 30, 2018, noting everything is tracking in line with budget with the exception of Real Estate Transfer Assessments which are approximately $90K behind.  She further noted there are pending real estate sales anticipated to close next month.  Certified letters have been sent to 32 property owners who remain outstanding on their annual assessment.  Cathie referred to a current listing of properties on the market in Arrowhead, relaying the opinion of the realtor who produced the report that inventory is low. 

Other Business

George Coleman announced the proposed dates for Town Hall meetings are July 14th and September 2nd at 4:00 p.m.  It was noted the revised Design Guidelines will be presented at both meetings. Bob Rosen asked that the proposed implementation of a sales tax be added to the Town Hall agenda.

George Coleman suggested that the Association Board meetings from November through April be held at 3:30 p.m.  He asked the Board to give this idea thought for discussion at the next meeting.

Adoption of the revised Design Guidelines was discussed.  The Board was in agreement to proceed with formal adoption of the guidelines for presentation at the July 14th Town Hall meeting. 

There being no further business, Tim Gropp moved to adjourn the meeting.  Patty Strunk seconded the motion and the meeting was adjourned at 9:58 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Floyd
Secretary to the Meeting