March 25, 2019 Minutes – Approved

A meeting of the Board of Directors of Arrowhead at Vail Association (the “Association”) was held on Monday, March 25, 2019. Board members present were Dan Gallagher, Cathie Bennett, George Bigley, Diane Loosbrock, and Tim Gropp. In attendance by phone were Board members Chad Hollingsworth and Randy Smith. Also present were George Coleman, ex officio, Jerry Hensel, Association Manager, Sid Schultz and Steve Nusbaum with Design Review Administration, Koby Kenny, Director of Base Area Operations, Erin McCauley, Financial Analyst, Terry Scanlan, property owner, and Carol Floyd, Secretary for the Meeting. The meeting was called to order at 10:01 a.m., and it was noted a quorum was present. Introductions were made.

Public Comment

Terry Scanlan spoke as a property owner and contractor voicing concern in regard to limited construction parking and the fine structure which doubles with each infraction. He noted the general contractor is liable for these fines because they are required to sign an agreement prior to commencing with construction. Terry suggested implementing a process whereby all subcontractors would be required to register for a nominal fee and sign an acknowledgment of parking rules. They would receive a permit and accept responsibility for violations. He further recommended lowering the fines. Discussion took place in regard to alternative parking in the skier lot and carpooling to construction sites. The inconvenience of transporting tools was noted. George Coleman suggested assigning subcontractor identification permits to the general contractor. The general contractor would pay the fee and regulate issuance and violations. Dan Gallagher asked the Board to forward comments on this topic to Cathie Bennett for the Public Safety Committee’s review. Steve Nusbaum stated this matter has been discussed at the DRC meeting and it was decided the regulation and fine structure are appropriate. He noted it is the responsibility of the general contractor to manage their site, whether or not they are there. Steve clarified, per regulation, the homeowner is ultimately responsible for violation fines with the general contractor acting as their agent. Steve said the regulation indicates enforcement authority is a shared responsibility between Design Review Administration and Public Safety. Dan Gallagher emphasized the importance of providing consistent enforcement.

Design Review

Cathie Bennett stated Kim Muffley will be available in her absence to attend the April 4, 2019 DRC meeting.

Motion was made by Cathie Bennett to assign Kim Muffley to substitute in her absence as an alternate member of the Design Review Committee for the April 4, 2019 meeting. Tim Gropp seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

Public Safety

Koby Kenny reported the vehicle count through the gate is up 12,000 from last year. From 2015/2016 and 2016/2017, the vehicle count is down 3,000 and 4,000, respectively. Koby noted a correction to the Complaint Log changing a complaint categorized as criminal to disturbance because it did not involve law enforcement. The incident involved shooting an air rifle at a stop sign. Because Edwards is unincorporated, Koby consulted with the Sheriff and followed their recommendation being that the gun was not shot at people, animals, or in an unsafe manner, and there was a sufficient backdrop for shooting. Dan Gallagher asked that the complaint log indicate this disturbance was by a rental guest. Koby explained many of the year-over-year variances are a result of lower staffing levels earlier in the year. Dan requested Koby include a summary with the monthly Activity Report explaining variances. Randy Smith suggested the report include less data and be more meaningful.

Committees

Tennis: Dan Gallagher deferred renewing authorization for limited tennis memberships for County Club of the Rockies and Alpine Club members until the next Board meeting once pricing has been determined.

Hiking: Dan Gallagher spoke about the difficulty of grooming the Ute trail, and the possibility of creating an entry higher on Cresta to access the snowmobile groomed trail on Mud Springs and to groom the wrap-around trail once it is complete. He noted there would be added expense for grooming. Jerry Hensel confirmed the Cherokee and Ute trail will be on the Beaver Creek summer trail map. He explained the Arrowhead community map is in the preliminary stage.

Activities: George Coleman said he met with Michelle Horton, committee Chair, in regard to venue enhancements. For future consideration, they discussed installation of a pre-constructed bridge approximately thirty feet above the existing snow bridge to provide a safer means of integrating the trails. Michelle is planning a 4th of July weekend inaugural event on the hiking trails. The committee is recommending relocating where summer camp begins and ends their day to Broken Arrow plaza to move it away from the tennis courts.

Intercommunity Council: Randy Smith gave an update on the social media launch and the feedback received. Fresh Tape Media are doing regular posts on Facebook and Instagram, and will continue at this pace. The community is being encouraged to post photos. The next step will be to ensure posts are received related to all summer activities. Jared will prepare monthly metrics reports for discussion at subsequent Board meetings. The posted link to the Arrowhead at Vail website has been rerouted from the home page to the Things to Do tab. Randy confirmed any content to be added to either site should be sent to him at this time. Chad Hollingsworth commended the creative process and art, and science behind it. He reported the first official Instagram post currently sits at 135,000 impressions.

Image/Landscape/Beautification: Cathie Bennett said the committee will commence planning in May after the snow melts. Jerry Hensel gave an update on the lighting study. He met with Innovative Lighting last week including a tour of Arrowhead. He also provided a photo album of night lighting. A proposal for type of lighting and fixtures is expected next week for review at the April Board meeting. Dan Gallagher added it may be a multi-year project, and will be in collaboration with Arrowhead Metro District (“AMD”). George Coleman relayed a discussion at the Presidents Council in regard to tree overgrowth. He also inquired about the east gate screening project. Dan Gallagher noted those items have been sent to the committee for consideration. George offered a reminder in regard to the Kohn tree and monument replacement.

Strategic Planning: Diane Loosbrock opened discussion pertaining to the holiday transportation schedule. Jerry Hensel said the Manager of Transportation has recommended two buses for the Fourth of July. The Board was inclined to use one bus for transport to Vail and the other to Beaver Creek. It was decided there would be one bus to Beaver Creek on Saturday and Sunday over Labor Day weekend. Diane spoke about the possibility of hiring a summer intern to assist the Activities Committee in orchestrating events and lessen the burden on volunteers. Tim Gropp said Cynthia Bell is exploring this through Colorado Mountain College. Dan Gallagher has reached out to Hannah Thompson with Cliff Drysdale to inquire about the possibility of sharing a staff member. Diane announced Caitlin Murray with Bravo will speak about summer programming at the Alpine Club wine and cheese event this evening. A lecturer is scheduled to be at the Alpine Club to talk about the Tosca performance the Wednesday before the event. Diane asked about the status of the neighborhood map. Jerry explained the challenge of adding Arrowhead in its entirety to the existing trail map. He said it is currently being worked on. George Bigley suggested producing the map electronically. Dan noted a dual purpose for the map to be used as a marketing tool for real estate brokers. George Coleman revisited the addition of a second entrance monument. Cathie Bennett explained rebranding is under consideration which could impact the design. Discussion took place in regard to creating a long-range capital plan. Tim Gropp recommended finalizing the plan by the third quarter for budgeting purposes.

Presidents Council: George Coleman said the council is a very engaged group and eager to participate in disseminating information or consultation as needed.

HOA Presidents Council: 12 of 18 HOAs were represented at the last meeting. Tim Gropp said the council discussed the pedestrian friendly action item in collaboration with AMD to extend sidewalks on Arrowhead Drive to Highway 6. They further discussed potential joint usage of the CCR tunnel. Jerry Hensel stated the sidewalk matter will be on this week’s AMD Board meeting agenda. The requirement and expense of winter maintenance was noted. The next HOA Presidents Council meeting will be in July.

Public Safety: Cathie Bennett said the committee had another meeting with Host Compliance. They are able to identify all short-term rentals. Services offered include licensing, a 24-hour hotline, and collection of sales tax. Pricing is based on the number of short-term rentals and can be offset by licensing fees. A revised proposal is expected in April. It was noted the short-term rental regulation will have to be reexamined with a target of implementation for next ski season.

Nominating: A call for candidates email blast was sent on March 8th resulting in two interested parties who will be interviewed. Diane Loosbrock asked the Board to send her any further recommendations for potential candidates.

Financials

Tim Gropp reviewed the financials as of February 28, 2019. On the Balance Sheet, $190,800 remains outstanding in annual assessments. The Income Statement shows real estate transfer assessments tracking ahead of budget. Jerry Hensel provided details on a billing matter with Vail Honeywagon for trash removal. They had undercharged since their contract in 2016, and recently discovered the discrepancy and billed the Association. Jerry is currently in negotiations to extend the contract by two years for a reduction in start-up costs. The end of year unfavorable variance is expected to be less than $10K. Jerry gave an update on the gate study. Per the gate technician who services the gates, all mechanical systems equipment has been updated. He is researching options for replacement of the gates with those made of lighter materials. Jerry said the funds allocated for this project may be able to be re-appropriated. Tim pointed out the $4,374 unfavorable variance in HOA Expense and Functions is AMD’s portion of the payment to Fresh Tape Media, and is expected in March.

Other Business

Dan Gallagher suggested sending a thank you to CCR for collaboration on the cross-country/snowshoe trail. Diane Loosbrock agreed to draft the letter on behalf of the Board.

Dan Gallagher reviewed the Action Item list.

Diane Loosbrock moved to enter Executive Session at 11:42 a.m. to discuss a third-party matter.

Motion was made by George Coleman to exit the Executive Session at 12:06 p.m. Diane Loosbrock seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

There being no further business, Diane Loosbrock moved to adjourn the meeting. Tim Gropp seconded the motion and the meeting was adjourned at 12:06 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Floyd

Secretary to the Meeting