May 29, 2019 Minutes

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Arrowhead Metropolitan District, Eagle County, Colorado, was held on May 29, 2019, at 3:30 p.m., at the offices of Marchetti & Weaver, LLC, 28 Second Street, Suite 211, Edwards, Eagle County, Colorado, in accordance with the applicable statutes of the State of Colorado.

Attendance

The following Directors were present and acting:

  • Bob Shafer
  • Vincent Riggio (via telephone)
  • Tom Howard (via telephone)
  • Bill Roe

The following Director was absent and excused:

  • Thomas Svoboda

Also in attendance were:

  • Jerry Hensel, Director of Resort Operations, Vail Resorts
  • Ken Marchetti, Marchetti & Weaver, LLC
  • Beth Johnston, Marchetti & Weaver, LLC, recording secretary
  • Paul Gorbold, Director of Transportation, Vail Resorts

Call To Order

The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Arrowhead Metropolitan District was called to order by Director Shafer on May 29, 2019, at 3:38 p.m. noting a quorum was present. No conflicts of interest were disclosed.

Consideration Of Agenda

There were no changes to the agenda.

Public Input

There was no public input.

Sawatch Drive Lighting

Mr. Hensel reviewed the background on the request for additional lighting on Sawatch Drive between the Country Club of the Rockies clubhouse and the Seasons at Arrowhead. Discussion continued on who is responsible for providing lighting to the area in question. Following discussion, the Board tabled the issue pending completion of the Arrowhead at Vail lighting study.

Edwards Riverpark Development

Director Shafer introduced the Edwards Riverpark Development explaining that is it was a new development submitted for review that could potentially compete with Arrowhead. General discussion continued on the development status, likelihood of being approved, and the suggested tax rate and service plans. Director Shafer suggested that the District continue to following the approval process.

Minutes

The Board reviewed the minutes included in the Board packet. After review, and by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously

RESOLVED to approve the March 27, 2019, Regular Meeting minutes as presented.

Accounts Payable

Director Shafer and Ms. Johnston reviewed the Accounts Payable list included in the packet, highlighting non-recurring payments for April and May. Following discussion, and by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously

RESOLVED to approve the accounts payable list as presented.

Action List

Director Shafer reviewed the action list and gave background of the updates and the new placement on the agenda. Director Shafer requested that the action list be used as a tool through-out the meeting while reviewing each item in detail.

Arrowhead at Vail Update

Director Shafer and Mr. Hensel reported the following activity for the Arrowhead at Vail Association (AVA):

  1. Bill Hughes is the new General Manager for Country Club of the Rockies and Pentti Tofferi has moved into a Director of Membership position as he moves toward retirement.
  2. Lots of activities have been scheduled for the summer and the AVA will publish an events calendar.
  3. Tennis is getting several upgrades, including a new ball machine.
  4. The digital marketing campaign has been very effective so far and the social media postings are generating awareness of Arrowhead.
  5. The lighting study is still underway.
  6. Landscaping and summer projects are underway.
  7. AVA is financially sound and has hit the 1st quarter RETA projections.
  8. An Arrowhead community map is being developed.
  9. Host Compliance will aid AVA with short term rental compliance and can assist with sales tax compliance if desired.

Transportation Report

Mr. Gorbold reviewed the transportation report included in the board packet noting the final season numbers and comparison to prior year. Mr. Gorbold reported that Arrowhead was fully transitioned from Dial-A-Ride to the Village Connect App and reviewed the successes and challenges encountered during the transition. The Board discussed the half-hour earlier start of the buses and whether the service should be continued next season. Mr. Gorbold reported that overall 2018-2019 was a successful transportation season. Discussion continued on the effects on service if the bus fleet was reduced by one bus and Director Howard will meet with Mr. Hensel and Mr. Gorbold on this topic. The Board requested that Mr. Hensel and Mr. Gorbold prepare a revised schedule of service and estimate on the effect on services if the fleet were reduced for the next meeting.

Mr. Hensel and Mr. Gorbold presented the proposal for summer bus service requested by AVA noting that they were still working out the logistics on how the schedule would work. There was discussion on the requested service, cost, and an agreement with AVA. The Board asked Mr. Hensel to prepare a letter from AVA outlining the agreed terms for consideration by the District at the June meeting.

Parking and Roads

Mr. Hensel reviewed the parking lot report explaining it was a three-season comparison of the parking lot and gate counts. Discussion continued on the use of the parking lot and the designation of resident and public spaces.

Director Shafer reviewed the background on the request to add sidewalks discussed at the March meeting. Discussion continued with a general consensus that additional sidewalks are not a financially viable option for the community and that no District money should be considered or spent at this time. The possible exception that may be considered in the future would be a designated walk or trail from Highway 6 to connect to the CCR sidewalk.

Mr. Hensel reported that an iPad could be used to download the data from the speed signs and the cost would be approximately $800. Following discussion, the Board decided to table this discussion until such a time that it felt the information would be useful.

Mr. Hensel reviewed the Warranty Review and Acceptance letter for lower Cresta Road paving done in 2017 included in the Board packet explaining the he had completed the site visit with Alpine Engineering and they deemed that the work was acceptable. During the site visit, several areas were identified as needing patching or other asphalt work. Mr. Hensel said Alpine Engineering was preparing an update to the 10-year Roads Capital report completed in 2018 and would present the report at the June meeting.

Director Howard reported that he had observed the Sawatch Drive gate left open for extended periods of time and that several maintenance trucks failed to stop at the stop signs causing safety and security issues within the community. Mr. Hensel said it was not the policy to leave the gates open and would follow up with the offending parties to rectify the situation. General discussion on potential liability was had.

Mr. Hensel reported that winter operations were wrapping up and summer operations were progressing as expected. One Arrowhead truck had recently been repaired due to an accident in December 2018. The employee involved in the accident had been let go due to failing the tests required by Vail Resorts.

Service Plan Review

Director Roe reported his review of the Arrowhead Service Plan by giving a background of the Service Plan and suggesting that it should be updated into a working document that the District reviews annually. Director Roe distributed a Scope of Services Draft Outline to meeting participants. Ms. Johnston distributed the document via email to meeting participants attending via telephone conference. Director Roe reviewed the outline and encouraged discussion and feedback. Mr. Marchetti commended Director Roe on the Scope of Services outline and suggested that the Board consider creating a supplementary working document to the Service Plan explaining the legal requirements involved with updating the Service Plan. General discussion continued and Director Shafer requested that all Board members review the outline and send any comments to Director Roe for further discussion during the next meeting.

Financial Statements

Mr. Marchetti reviewed the Financial statements included in the packet noting that the preliminary assessed valuations had been received and the Residential Assessment Rate was decreased to 7.15% instead of the anticipated 6.85% resulting in an estimated overall increase to the projected 2020 Assessed Valuation (AV). Discussion continued on the vendor bidding process for various work done for the District. Mr. Hensel explained that multiple bids were gotten and sometimes required depending on the work and the amount in question however, given the demographics of the valley, it was challenging to obtain multiple bids from qualified vendors especially in an urgent situation. Following discussion, and upon motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously

RESOLVED that a best effort be made to obtain multiple bids for all planned expenditures over $7500.

Sales Book & RAR

Mr. Marchetti reviewed the sales book noting that sales prices compared to the Assessor’s values to date are flat.

Draft 2018 Audit

Director Shafer introduced the draft audit and requested that an audit committee be convened to review the audit with Dan Cudahy before the June meeting. Directors Shafer and Riggio agreed to be on the audit committee.

Bond Refunding

Mr. Marchetti distributed an updated Request for Proposal (RFP) for the bond refunding to meeting participants; Ms. Johnston distributed the update via email to telephone participants. Mr. Marchetti reviewed the RFP suggesting that the Board consider a September 3, 2019, closing date. Mr. Marchetti reviewed the refunding process explaining that the RFP would be sent to the list of banks in the proposal and once proposals were received, they would be analyzed, tabulated and a recommendation made to the Board. Discussion continued on issuing tax-exempt versus taxable bonds, callability of the bonds, and including additional banks. The Board requested that Mr. Marchetti update the RFP as discussed and distribute for proposals.

Update on Public Notice for Cont. of Services

Ms. Johnston relayed that Mr. Collins reported that no comments or injunctions were filed in relation to the 45-day Notice regarding Mosquito Control Service and Business Development Services published on March 7, 2019. The Notice published is hereby incorporated into these minutes for the record:

Mosquito Control Agreement

Ms. Johnston reviewed the Mosquito Control Services agreement included in the packet. Following discussion, and upon motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously

RESOLVED to approve the Intergovernmental Agreement for Mosquito Control Services by Edwards Metropolitan District et al.

UERWA

The Board reviewed the minutes from the UERWA. Mr. Hensel gave an update on the water tank project reporting the tank was currently full, the interior floor was installed, the remaining interior work would be completed in the fall, and the exterior would be completed throughout the summer season.

Future Meetings

The Board confirmed the next regular meeting would be June 26, 2019, starting at 3:30 p.m.

Adjournment

There being no further business to come before the Board, by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously

RESOLVED to adjourn the Regular Meeting of the Arrowhead Metropolitan District Board of Directors this 29th day of May, 2019.

Respectfully submitted,

Beth Johnston
Secretary for the Meeting