History

1862

The Homestead Act is Enacted

Pioneers and homesteaders moved to the area that would become Arrowhead under President Abraham Lincoln’s Homestead Act, farming hay and lettuce, and raising cattle to feed local miners. The location was a prime wildlife corridor for deer and elk.

1881

Settlement of the Avon, Beaver Creek, & Arrowhead Area Begins

McCoy Ranch was located on the west side of what is now Arrowhead and was owned by Vernon and Zelma Eaton Mann. The land had a small stream known as McCoy Creek. The Manns farmed lettuce on the property. The Mann home/cabin can still be seen along the upper mountain areas off the Arrowhead Mountain Trail, also sometimes known as the Mud
Springs Trail.

1946

McCoy Ranch is Purchased by Pete Dodo

David “Pete” Dodo bought the McCoy Ranch. Ultimately, he took ownership of all the property making up Arrowhead. Pete spent years working the 1,200-acre ranch to level it and raised Hereford cattle on the land until he sold it in 1972.


1972

McCoy Ranch is Purchased by Jim Krentler

Pete sells the ranch to Jim Krentler of Colorado Springs. Jim expected that he would make money on the land with Colorado hosting the 1976 Winter Olympics which was subsequently vetoed in a statewide voter referendum.

The First Run is Established

Kingsbury Pitcher designed and cut the first run on the mountain, named The Real McCoy. It started on what is now Cresta just above the entrance to the current Tomahawk run and continued down the current Tomahawk run to the bottom of the mountain. The mountain had no lifts, with skiers skinning up the mountain or taking a ride in snow cats. Krentler then worked with Marty and Jack Mankamyer to position the property to sell with the assistance of a planning firm from San Francisco and architect-planner Jared B. Morse who developed a master plan proposal for residential development. The property ran from lower Bachelor Gulch on the east to the current boundary on the west.

Arrowhead was Named

While walking the property one day, Marty Mankamyer found a white quartz arrowhead after which the property was named Arrowhead at Vail. The arrowhead was likely from the period when the Ute were in the area.

1979

Country Club of the Rockies is Established

The property was sold to a group of individuals: Fitzhugh Scott, Pepi Gramshammer, Jennings Wright, Fred Green, Andrew Norris, Bill Duddy and Jim Viele. The vision of the community evolved with a plan developed by Gage Davis. Inspired by Fred Green, the golf course and clubhouse became an integral part of Arrowhead. The name Country Club of the Rockies was selected as there was already a golf club in Denver named Arrowhead. Jack Nicklaus was selected to design the golf course and he then built a home in Arrowhead. The Nicklaus’ lived in the house for years, watched their kids grow up, learn to ski, and fly fish.

1980

Beaver Creek Opens

1982

Arrowhead Development Begins

The Houston-based Wedge Group purchased most of the interest in Arrowhead and the
development of the land began. Cresta run was cut. Pete Seibert would organize snow cat tours on the mountain.

1983

Vail Associates is Incorporated

1984

The First Nine Holes Open at Country Club of the Rockies

The first nine holes opened with inaugural tee shots by Jack Nicklaus and Tom Apple, the club pro. Pete Dodo noted- “I spent years trying to make the land level for farming and they put hills and bumps back in.”

Country Club of the Rockies Clubhouse Opens

Jack Nicklaus and Tom Apple opened the back nine of the course with their inaugural shots and the Country Club of the Rockies clubhouse opened.


1988

Arrowhead Ski Area Opens

The Arrowhead ski area opened based on ski runs designed by Pete Seibert, Pete Seibert Jr. and Jim Clark with a lift in its current location. In addition to The Real McCoy and Cresta, Golden Bear and Upper Little Brave were available runs. The base area consisted of an old Ranch House with tickets sold out of a window in the garage.

1992

Country Club of the Rockies Changes Hands

The Country Club of the Rockies was turned over to the Club members, debt free and
unencumbered.

1993

Vail Association Acquires Arrowhead & Arrowhead Mountain

Arrowhead has the first Yurt in the valley in the current Yurt’s location. Arrowhead ski area had the first modern snow making fan guns, ahead of Beaver Creek and Vail Mountains.

1997

Bachelor Gulch is Completed

European style village to village skiing became available for Beaver Creek with the connection of Arrowhead and Beaver Creek.

1999

Arrowhead Alpine Club is Established

The Arrowhead Alpine Club opened creating the social, activity, skiing, and fitness facility for its members.

2021

Country Club of the Rockies Clubhouse Expansion

An expanded and updated Country Club of the Rockies clubhouse opens offering its members and the community special dining, social and fitness engagement opportunities.

Connect with us