Minutes of the Regular Meeting Of the Board of Directors Arrowhead Metropolitan District September 25, 2019
A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Arrowhead Metropolitan District, Eagle County, Colorado, was held on September 25, 2019, at 3:30 p.m., in the conference room of Marchetti & Weaver, LLC, 28 Seconds St, Suite 213, Edwards, Eagle County, Colorado, in accordance with the applicable statutes of the State of Colorado.
Attendance The following Directors were present and acting:
- Bob Shafer
- Bill Roe
- Thomas Howard (via telephone)
The following Directors were absent and excused:
- Tom Svoboda
- Vincent Riggio
Also in attendance were:
- Jerry Hensel, Director of Resort Operations, Vail Resorts (via telephone)
- Dan Gallagher, representative for Arrowhead at Vail Association
- Ken Marchetti, Marchetti & Weaver, LLC
- Beth Johnston, Marchetti & Weaver, LLC, recording secretary
- Geoff Dreyer, Upper Eagle Regional Water Authority
Call To Order The Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Arrowhead Metropolitan District was called to order by Director Shafer on September 25, 2019, at 3:35 p.m. noting a quorum was present. No conflicts of interest were disclosed.
Consideration Of Agenda Director Shafer said that Mr. Smith could not attend and the presentation on the social media plan would be postponed.
Public Input There was no public input.
Road Cut Application Mr. Hensel reviewed the background for the road cut application submitted for 201 Aspen Meadow Drive explaining that additional safety measures were requested and a revised application was submitted. Ms. Johnston confirmed that the road cut fee and deposit had been remitted. Following discussion and upon motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously
RESOLVED to approve the Road Cut Permit Application for 201 Aspen Meadow Drive.
Minutes The Board reviewed the minutes included in the Board packet, and by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously
RESOLVED to approve the minutes for the following meetings as presented:
Regular meeting on August 28, 2019
Continuation of Regular Meeting on August 30, 2019
Accounts Payable Director Shafer reviewed the Accounts Payable list included in the packet pointing out that the large expense is for the new truck which is included in the capital budget. General discussion on the list continued and by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously
RESOLVED to approve the accounts payable list as presented.
Action List The Board reviewed the action list.
Arrowhead at Vail Update Mr. Gallagher reported the following activity for the Arrowhead at Vail Association (AVA):
- Nadia Guerriero gave a presentation on the future of Beaver Creek. Gallagher will circulate the presentation to the District Board.
- The AVA Board adopted a Resolution supporting the District’s Sales Tax question and encouraging people to vote yes.
- The board is addressing several maintenance issues including irrigation of common areas, off-leash dogs on the front lawn in front of the lift, and the need for more regular trail maintenance.
- The Ute Trail is complete.
- AVA’s RETA revenues are forecasted to be over budget by the end of the year.
- The nominating committee suggested Mary Pat Rapp and Mark Noble as candidates for the AVA Board.
- Capital Projects are being reviewed and enhancements are being planned over a 2- to 3-year timeline.
- The Arrowhead trail map is still being developed.
- AVA is working with Village Transportation to develop a trial winter evening service between Arrowhead and Beaver Creek. They are continuing to work with Vail Property Management regarding service to Edwards.
- There was a meeting with Carrie McDowell, transportation consultant, to review the traffic studies which showed 60% of traffic on Highway 6.in Arrowhead is over 55 mph posing a safety risk for pedestrians crossing Highway 6. General discussion continued on best solutions for pedestrian safety crossing Highway 6 including grade separated crossings, traffic signals and potentially a round-about.
Following discussion on the traffic study, the Board requested that Mr. Hensel contact Alpine Engineering for a conceptual level evaluation of cost for construction of a round-about and an underpass tunnel.
Road Safety Mr. Hensel reviewed the road and bike safety materials included in the packet. Mr. Hensel reported that pedestrian gates could be installed at the east Arrowhead gates with a code lock for entry for approximately $5000-$6000. General discussion continued and further discussion was tabled until Director Riggio is available, Vail Resorts Public Safety has been consulted, and AVA is more engaged in the process.
Mudslide Update Mr. Hensel reviewed the mudslide letter include in the packet reporting that cleaning of the drains was on-going and additional costs of up to $5000 is anticipated. General discussion continued on options to recoup costs and potential mitigation for future slides.
Transportation Rate Breakdown Mr. Hensel distributed the transportation hourly rate breakdown memo to meeting participants. Ms. Johnston confirmed that the memo was distributed via email prior to the meeting. Mr. Hensel reviewed what made up the hourly rate calculation and reviewed rates charged by other transportation operators. General discussion on the rate continued with Mr. Hensel confirming that Beaver Creek and others that contracted with Vail Resorts paid the same rate as the District.
Other Operations Mr. Hensel reviewed the Ewing trucking proposal for road salt-sand and heavy equipment for snow removal. Upon review, the Board approved the proposal pending inclusion of an annual appropriations clause. Additional discussion continued on which vendors would be subject to the Arrowhead sales tax, if it passes in November.
Service/Operations Plan Review Director Roe distributed and reviewed the draft 2019 Operations Plan. General discussion was held on the plan and remaining outstanding items required to complete the report including updating the water system section.
Financial Statements & 2020 Budget Mr. Marchetti stated the meeting had been published as the public hearing to adopt the 2020 Budget. Mr. Marchetti reviewed the 2019 forecast and the proposed 2020 budget for the District. Mr. Marchetti explained that two 2020 proposed budgets were prepared, one with a lower mill levy and sales tax revenue and another with a higher mill levy and no sales tax revenue. Following review and discussion, the Board requested that a budget committee consisting of Directors Roe and Shafer be formed to perform a more in depth review of the budget. The 2020 Budget hearing for Arrowhead Metropolitan District was continued to the next regular meeting when the budget committee will present their findings and recommendations..
2019 Audit Engagement Letter Mr. Marchetti reviewed the engagement letter from McMahan and Associates included in the packet noting that they completed the District’s audit for the past three years and that they were engaged at that time as the low bidder of a public request for proposal process. Following discussion and by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously.
RESOLVED to engage McMahan and Associates to perform the 2019 Audit.
Legal Update The Board reviewed the legal update included in the packet.
UERWA Mr. Dreyer reviewed the minutes from the August 29, 2019 UERWA meeting included in the Board packet, noting
- The owners of the Eagle River Village Mobile Home park rejected the deal proposed for connection to the UERWA system.
- The Board approved a water system impact fee increase.
- An amended 2018 budget and the 2018 audited financial statements were approved
- A 10-year capital improvement Water System Master Plan will be developed
- There is an updated water rights appraisal
Mr. Dreyer reviewed the Arrowhead water tank project progress reporting that construction is ahead of schedule.
Future Meetings The Board confirmed that the next regular meeting is scheduled for October 30, 2019, starting at 3:30 p.m.
Adjournment There being no further business to come before the Board, by motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously
RESOLVED to adjourn the Regular Meeting of the Arrowhead Metropolitan District Board of Directors this 25th day of October, 2019.
Secretary for the Meeting